Monday, May 19, 2008

Where dreams come true...

Well, after such a long yet empowering day I was very excited for our time we were going to spend at the Dream Center. I knew this may be a highlight of Taylor’s trip and could not wait to share it with her. On Saturday the Kigali sponsor kids come to the Dream Center for activities and praise. We met Robert there and were greeted by all the children in the hall. They were all so sweet and most of them could’nt be any taller that Canyon. They stared at us all in amazement and after we sat down they sang to us as a group. They were so enthusiastic and so proud to share with us. Violet had brought Esther’s father, sister and brother from Butare and so they got a chance to see what ANLM has done and where Esther has come from. They beamed with pride and they all sat quietly as the children greeted us all. At one point my emotions took over and I again teared up. Glacier leaned over to me and whispered “You are just like Opa”. It made me smile as like him I too am over taken many times on this trip and was crying because of the joy I felt from their love and admiration. They performed for us the traditional dance and again got us al out there dancing. I looked over and seen Taylor dancing and the smile on her face will forever be etched in my mind. She was truly having a great tine and I could see that she too was very thankful for the love they were showering upon us. Grandma Bun Bun was sitting behind me and when I turned around I could barely see her as she had a least 12 kids sitting on her lap, stroking her hair and looking at the veins in her hands. She was beaming and I could see that this truly was a day to remember. So simple yet so powerful. We all sat and listened and at the end they asked Esther to tell her testimony. She spoke of her life on the streets and about her father being in prison. She told them how Violet had taken her off the streets and how her life ahs changed since coming to African New Life. She explained to them who I was and that she is waiting for the Minster to approve the adoption. A few minutes later, all the children had bowed their heads and all you could hear was the murmur of prayer for Esther. I could not keep my eyes closed and I was deeply moved by their power of prayer. They prayed for her and the adoption and I looked back to see Esther’s family also bowing their heads to pray. We were all asking God for the same thing and I could see his work in all these children. After prayer it was time for all of us to leave to go back to the hotel. We said our goodbyes and in an instance were mobbed by all 200 children running up to us al to get in their hugs. It was so powerful that we all were caught in a mob and unable to move. It was a mad rush and they had to softly push away the kids so we could get out of the hall. Glacier was lost in the middle, yet I looked over and she had a giant smile on her face. She loves the little ones and they were so anxious to hug her and feel the warmth of a little white girl. There were many blessing in this day and we al went back feeling complete and feeling loved by the Rwanda children. It truly is a place where dreams will come true and we are very proud of the work ANLM is doing for these children.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I too am like you and your dad ~ shedding tears comes very easily for me ~ especially after I read about your days in Rwanda, your time with Esther, the work you are doing, how much you love Taylor, and what you are teaching her by your example ~ thank you. You have such a big heart and so much love to give. We are so grateful to have you in our lives. In gratitude and love, Tracy

Anonymous said...

Ok, Nicole, bring me to tears...again!! The part when the group was in prayer over the adoption was to say the least, powerful. I, too, am praying for you. Love to you and Glacier!
Sharilyn Brooks